Sunday, March 28, 2010

Blog 12 Outline

Is College a Liminal Period/state and how does it serve as a rite of passage to the society?

I. Admission/Beginning
i. Leaving the home, breaking free from adults
ii. What should I expect/ why should I go to college?
1. marriage-to secure a good mate
2. education-to be seen as a higher rank in society (provides opportunity to be better
then our parents
II. Ambiguous/Liminal Period
i. I am not a child, not an adult
1. What responsibilities do I have to myself? to my family?
ii. Unique (or not so unique) rituals during college years/what are the tasks
1. set out by family (ie: dad joins fraternity, son joins same fraternity)
iii. What is expected during this time?
iv. Rebels
1. Time to do "whatever I want"
2. Are people more liberal during college
III. Re-assimilation/Graduation
i. How does it 'change' you?
1. Are you really changed
2. Does it really make you an adult?
ii. Graduation marks a rite of passage into society
1. Who says this is what makes you a good person/potential mate
2. Why does McCandles rebel against mainstream society to prove that college does
necessarily make you an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment