Monday, April 12, 2010

Evolution of Paper

When I first addressed my paper I wanted to take the stand that college is a liminal state between adulthood and childhood and that what happens in college is not clearly defined. Now, I still want to say that what happens in college is not clearly defined, however I am focusing on college as a rite of passage. When I first thought of college as a rite of passage I insisted that it was, because I have been hearing my whole life that I had to go to college. Now, I am trying to examine if college is a failing rite of passage, if all rites of passage are failing, and if the college rite of passage is a privatized and self project.

2 comments:

  1. There is an interesting 20-year-old book called "Betwixt and Between" that has a chapter on the "decline of the male rite of passage."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah,
    I'm currently writing my undergraduate dissertation on how university influences drug normalaisation. In my data collection it became apparent to me that university creates a liminal space where morals and norms of their 'previous' life are tested or even dismissed completely before returning to society as an adult. It seems that you have some similar ideas about the subject so it would me very useful to speak to you about the subject andwhat you have found out. If you'd like to get in contact please email me on ollybowling@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete